Friday, February 28, 2014

Happiness and Habits

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2014/02/i-created-a-different-relationship-to-the-voice-in-my-head/

^Today’s Highlight, Gretchen Rubin, author of this website and a few books on Happiness and Habits,

 

Today I’m choosing to write about people who inspire others thru changing the self-talk in their own minds. Once this habit is started it’s truly contagious and you want to share all about it.

 

Gretchen Rubin is interviewing Dan Harris, a fellow writer and author like herself, about happiness and habits. It’s truly a must read.

 

Self-talk and meditation is so overlooked as important, I truly believe this is also in line with my faith. For the Christians out there struggling with the meditation context and worrying its not of God. My personal favorite reference is www.openbible.com, online search, I can Google Biblical verses on Mediation and get a listing of all the verses in the Bible that list this topic. I check multiple websites but this one is my favorite for its simplicity and accuracy.

 

http://www.openbible.info/topics/meditation

 

We are to make sure our mediation is pleasing to God, but we are called to mediate on His words. Mediation is in every culture including Christianity. It’s a calming way to manage your thoughts and get them in line with peace.

 

“Be still and know I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10

 

These authors talk about happiness and habits and are not labeled with one particular faith online. I just wanted to bring up both their wonderful ideas and writing and try to bring around a more open minded mindset towards meditation and self-talk. How we treat ourselves and how we talk to ourselves does matter. Habits do effect our happiness. It’s why I am working on my diet, exercise, and health. It’s why I’m taking a dreaded budget class and a difficult Recovery course to face my flaws which I know I need to work on. I’m vowing to myself to keep my promises to myself and stop denying and isolating myself. It’s so hard to do this, but it has its rewards in time. I’m becoming more and more content and happy with my life. I have bad days still but I’m getting better.

 

I’ve decided to take a break from relationships, a true break where I’m not seeking them at all and won’t accept being asked out for a year maybe two. I want to reset myself and my mindset for a while. I want to see myself how I should see myself. People tell me I’m a wonderful, honest, smart, beautiful woman, but if I don’t believe in myself that won’t matter. I need to develop my roots in my beliefs, my faith, my direction in life, and learn to love myself first. Then I will attract a man worth finding instead of losers and users. I’m confident breaking bad habits is both in my hands as well as admitting I’m powerless to change my human flaws on my own. I’ve done a pretty big job of screwing it all up when I try to control everything around me. I cannot be at peace and who I am supposed to be without giving up my micromanaging of my life and the world around me.

 

Knowing where you fall short is half the battle, finding the courage to admit you cannot change your bad habits without changing how you see your habits and admitting the human tendency to sin is what it’s all about.

 

I’ll close with that on today’s rant on habits lol

 

*~*Jen*~*

 

No comments: